NYSUT News Feed
|Description of RSS News Feed|
Stand Up For What All Kids Need
Gov. Andrew Cuomo's proposed budget for 2015-2016 lays out a punishing anti-public education agenda that attacks teachers and hurts students.
Rather than provide what all kids need, the governor is pushing a Billionaires' Agenda that would decimate the state's public schools. His "my-way-or-the-highway" budget would:
- hold school aid increases hostage;
- woefully underfund the state's K-12 and higher education systems;
- more than double the weight of standardized tests;
- make permanent an undemocratic tax cap that has wreaked financial havoc on school communities;
- eliminate funding for teacher training;
- launch a back-door voucher plan that would siphon funding away from schools most in need;
- underfund public higher education by tying funding to campus "performance" rather than enrollment;
- smooth the way for the privatization of SUNY's five hospitals;
- destroy prep programs for future teachers;
- and fail to fully address the student debt crisis.
Simply put, Gov. Cuomo's proposed budget - which serves the interests of his billionaire backers - is an attack on public education that fails to address what all students need.
Things you can do right now to fight back.
Every NYSUT member is needed to defend public education and the teaching profession from Gov. Cuomo's Billionaires' Agenda.
Tell the governor to stop scapegoating... stop teacher bashing and focus on what #AllKidsNeed.
Here's your to-do list.
Take action on this week's campaigns.
The latest actions will always be right here in the No. 1 spot.
- Ask lawmakers to support fair and proper funding for higher education
- Ask lawmakers to support due process and tenure
- Watch and SHARE the TV ad
Call your state senator. Now.
- Stop what you're doing and call your state senator with this message: stand up to the Governor's "Bigfoot" tactics and defend our outstanding New York public schools!
- You can look up the number at the NYSUT Member Action Center.
Sign up for MAC text alerts!
Take 10 seconds and sign up for MAC text alerts on your phone!
Here's how: Text the word "NYSUT" to the contact number 38470.
Sign the petitions.
- Tell the governor: New York's public schools are not for sale.
- Demand Gov. Cuomo and Chancellor Tisch Stop the Assault on Public Education by signing the NYS Allies for Public Education petition.
Call out the governor.
- Invite the governor to visit your class to learn what #AllKidsNeed. Tweet out an invite directly at him and be sure to include his Twitter handle @NYGovCuomo and the hashtag #InviteCuomo if you want your tweet to be seen and heard.
- Not on Twitter? See step 8.
Get connected to the MAC.
- BY TEXT. Get real-time text messages about urgent news and actions by texting the word NYSUT to the number 38470.
- BY EMAIL. Subscribe to the NYSUT Member Action Center email alerts for updates on this campaign. If you're registered via email as a NYSUT MAC e-activist you'll also be the first to know about upcoming rallies, protests and more.
- BY APP. Download the NYSUT MAC App for your iPhone or for your Android phone. Be sure notifications are enabled to receive alerts on new action items.
Get connected on Facebook.
- "Like" the Facebook pages for the NYSUT Member Action Center and NYSUT United, share our posts, and join the conversation.
- Replace your Facebook profile photo with the cover of the February NYSUT United, which exhorts all to FIGHT BACK!
Get connected on Twitter.
- Join Twitter and follow @NYSUT to be part of the social media army.
- Once a day (or as often as possible) tweet your thoughts on what #AllKidsNeed - more science labs, music and art classes, school libraries, smaller class sizes and more. We're reminding the governor to focus on what matters! Follow the conversation in real-time for some great examples from parents and educators.
Share the poster.
- Download, print and share the "Fight Back" poster (PDF) and other resources available on the "Tools" page.
Wear the button.
- Wear and share NYSUT's Respect Public Education: It Works! button that Gov. Cuomo prohibited at his recent public appearances. Seriously.
Take part in community forums.
- Keep an eye on nysut.org/allkidsneed for information on upcoming NYSUT-sponsored Community Forums to Save Public Education in every region of the state.
Talk it up.
- Get the conversation going - online and offline. Read "Where We Stand" and use it to craft social media messages, send letters to the editor, and brief friends and colleagues.
- Circulate and share print materials and videos.
Support "Take Action Tuesday."
- Mark your calendar to support NYSUT's "Take Action Tuesday" every week. Be on the lookout for updates.
Learn more at www.nysut.org/allkidsneed.
Last Updated (Tuesday, 03 March 2015 16:10)
Member Alert Program
Last Updated (Friday, 15 November 2013 16:58)
Nysut Action Center Mobile App
Last Updated (Friday, 15 November 2013 16:38)